Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Long Time, No Updates!

So I abandoned the blog a little because I started writing a new novel. Around halfway in, I realized the novel had the same idea as The Uglies by Scott Westerfield. Considering I never even heard of that book until today, it made me pretty mad. How often do we come up with ideas that someone else has already taken?

The answer is always.

So you fell in love with your bestfriend's boyfriend/fioncee/husband etc. That's already a book, or more than one. There's many actually.

If you are in desperate need of an idea!, which most writers are who are like me, and not Alice... because Alice comes up with an idea or two everyday. Except she always abandons her novels for her new ideas... again. And again. And again.

I, nevertheless, can write a whole novel without getting a new idea. Then I wait for the next one. So, if you are like me, and still want practice but suck at ideas, try this.

Write out a scene from your favourite movie. Pick a scene, any scene, and describe it as if it was a novel. You know how some writers say "my books are so vivid to me, like a movie in my head." Pretend this is your movie. And write.

No comments: